Monday, July 21, 2008

The Presidential Cup : A game in Nepal

The Presidential Cup in Nepal


Did you watch the Euro cup 2008 football game in June? I was really busy with my studies and research, even though I managed my time and watched most of the games. It was the 13th UEFA European Football Championship, a quadrennial football tournament for European nations. There was the participation of 16 teams, which were selected through qualifying matches, which began in August 2006. It was really exciting match, the whole university system was not functioning properly during the match. People were busy in watching and discussing about the various matches and players. I could not finish my assignment during this time. This tournament was interesting to me; it is because I was watching it in Germany with German people who were thinking that they would win the competition. The game ended with Spain’s victory, defeating Germany 1-0 in the final. I could see the sadness in German friends eyes; but they were not disappointed. Some of them were simply saying that ‘Spain played better’. After this event, I was trying to concentrate on my studies and research. But, after some days, in the beginning of July, I read on the online newspapers and in many blogs about the massive presidential tournament of Nepal. It was the next more interesting game. But it was not in Europe, but in Nepal, in my home country. How can I miss this ‘Presidential Cup? It was going to be held for the first time in the history of Nepal so it was more fascinating for every one.


The interesting thing is that the Presidential cup came into existence after defeating the ‘Genealogical Royal Cup’ with tremendously wide difference. Yes, there were certainly lots of matches to trounce it, which was in existence for 239 years. It was not easy to establish this new cup. There were 13 years long qualifying matches and the last 3 moths long final game behind it. The contest was intense end exciting in the last month. You know the characteristics of various games and tournaments. It becomes more funny and exciting the more you watch towards its final. The same holds true with Nepalese Presidential cup. It became more fabulous and exhilarating in last weeks. Do you know what the main important thing in a game is? It is time. You need to be very careful in each and every second. You can miss the cup in few seconds if you do not play properly. But this is not the problem of Nepalese players. Lets say, political players! They play more perfectly in nights than days. They can change the entire setting of the game in night and puzzle people. You never know what happens next. This is not the characteristic of science. In science, you can formulate your hypothesis, predict and come to the proper logical solution. Science presumes that the things and events in the universe occur in consistent patterns that are comprehensible through careful, systematic study. Scientists believe that through the use of the intellect, and with the aid of instruments that extend the senses, people can discover patterns in all of nature. But none of the scientific nature is found in the current Nepalese politics. It is neither consistent nor predictable in any sense. Which is why the every young generation thinks that politics is a game…a dirty game!! It compels linguists to revise the definition of political science to cover the Nepalese politics.

Mr. Paudyal holds DAAD’s ‘Young Academics and Scientists award 2007 for his PhD studies and research in Germany.
Email: paudyal@uni-leipzig.de

4 comments:

भगवती वस्नेत said...

oh!i like your views you compare game and nepali politics it's amazing!

Anonymous said...

I wish not acquiesce in on it. I regard as precise post. Expressly the appellation attracted me to review the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I discovered your site by way of Google whilst searching
for a related matter, your site got here up, it looks great.
I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
Hi there, just turned into alert to your blog through Google, and located that it
is truly informative. I am going to be careful for brussels.
I'll appreciate if you proceed this in future.
A lot of people will probably be benefited out
of your writing. Cheers!

my webpage yahoo